The National Day of Mourning is observed annually in Canada on April 28 to honour those who have lost their lives while working on the job. The purpose of the National Day of Mourning is two-fold … to remember and honour those lives lost or injured and to renew the commitment to improving health and safety in the workplace … to prevent further deaths, injuries and diseases from work.
Every year workers, families, employers, communities and others come together at ceremonies held around the province and the country to remember those who have lost their lives to work-related incidents or occupational disease, and to renew their commitment to creating safe workplaces. Since its inception, the observance has spread to over 80 countries around the world, but is known in most other countries as the Workers’ Memorial Day.
The Canadian flag on Parliament Hill is typically flown at half-mast on April 28, and workers and employees observe this day in various ways including observing moments of silence.
To mark our school district’s commitment in observance of the National Day of Mourning on April 28, Coast Mountains School District flags will be lowered to half-mast on Friday afternoon, April 27 and raised on Monday, April 30 prior to the start of school.
For more information, please visit the BC Day of Mourning website at dayofmourning.bc.ca.
Order form is here: Coffee Fundraising Order Form Uplands Elementary
If you don’t have a Jersey, that’s okay! You can wear something green, or any team clothing you like.
Last Friday, the B.C. government announced a change to BC’s Family Day. Starting in 2019, BC’s Family Day will move to the third Monday in February (instead of the second Monday of February).
In light of this announcement, the proposed 2018-2019 School Calendar was revised to reflect the BC Family Day date change effective 2019. As a result of this date change, the Curriculum Implementation Day scheduled on February 22 was rescheduled to February 15. The revised school calendar also reflects the June 21 National Indigenous Peoples Day, noting this is a Regular Day of Instruction.
Coast Mountains Board of Education School District 82 is seeking public feedback regarding the “revised” 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar. If you have completed the initial survey, much appreciated if you could complete the survey again as it has been changed to reflect the revised school calendar information.
For your information and viewing, please find the “revised” 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar and Backgrounder as prepared and presented by the School Calendar Committee, an all-partner consultative committee formed by the Board of Education provided with a mandate to guide the development of a school calendar for the 2018-2019 school year.
Public feedback is welcomed by February 18, 2018, by completing the revised School Calendar Survey (reference link below) or by forwarding your comments by email to email@example.com, by fax to 1-888-290-4786, or drop off/mail to Coast Mountains Board of Education School District 82, 3211 Kenney Street, Terrace, B.C. V8G 3E9.
The “revised” School Calendar Survey is available for completion at:
(please click on the link to complete the survey)
A summary of all responses and feedback received will be reviewed by the Board of Education. The revised 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar will then be considered at the Regular (Public) Meeting of the Board to be held on February 28, 2018.
For further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Ext. 4401.
In preparation for the 2018-2019 school year, the Board of Education is seeking the cooperation of parents/guardians in registering their child on the following dates. Pre-registration is requested in order to provide the School District Administration the time to plan staffing to meet school needs.
Schools are open to take registration for Kindergarten from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. between January 8, 2018 and March 9, 2018.
The School District will make every effort to place students who have registered by March 9, 2018 in their catchment area school. Students registering after March 9, 2018 may not be granted place in their catchment area school.
To be eligibile for entry to school in September 2018 students must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2018. A birth certificate, proof of immunization, a BC Care Card and parent/guardian proof of ordinarily resident will be required at the time of registration.
Acceptable documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident”:
- BCMSP (BC CareCard) coverage AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows; or
- Valid BC Services Card (replacement for BC CareCard) AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows
Supporting documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident” (address must match the address listed on the Student’s Registration & Verification Form):
- Provincial Driver’s License
- Document indicating British Columbia resident (i.e. utility bill)
- Proof of ownership of a dwelling or long-term lease or rental of a dwelling
- A current income tax return filed as a BC resident
To register for Kindergarten classes, please register your child at your neighbourhood primary/elementary school as detailed in the 2018-2019 CMSD82 Kindergarten Registration Procedures Notice (click on link to open). If you wish information on school boundaries, please contact any of the principals as listed in the CMSD82 2018-2019 Kindergarten Registration Procedures.
French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One:
- A student does not have to be of French origin to enrol in French Immersion.
- Registration for French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One takes place at schools indicated with an * as listed in the 2018-2019 CMSD82 Kindergarten Registration Procedures Notice (click on link to open).
- Registration for French Immersion Grade One is for students presently attending Kindergarten in English, who would like to begin in the French Immersion Program.
School District 82 Policy 1030 outlines student attendance/catchment area procedures in accordance with Ministry of Education policies on Schools of Choice. It is important that parents take note of specific deadlines defined within this policy and ensure the procedures listed below are followed:
- Students must be registered at their catchment area school.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Applications: After registering at your catchment area school, applications must be received at your school of choice by February 16, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Confirmation of Cross Boundary Applications: By the first Friday following school opening, or as soon as possible following this date, pending staffing allocations and school configurations. Unsuccessful applicants may be held on a waiting list for the subsequent school year. Parents/guardians applying for Cross Boundary status are advised the decisions related to Cross Boundary Applications may not be decided until the first week of school in the 2018-2019 school year. Parents/guardians, therefore, must register first at their catchment area school.
- New In-Catchment Registrations: Registrations will be received up to March 9, 2018 for new students including Kindergarten. Applications received after this date will have to wait until school staffing is complete before receiving status of school enrolment. Wait-listed students who are in catchment area may be moved as soon as space is available.
- Notification of In-Catchment: Wait-listed in-catchment area students will be notified of their status for the school year as soon as possible or by the first Friday following school opening.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Students: Those students who do not live within the defined attendance areas for the school they wish to attend.
- In-Catchment Students: Those students who live in the attendance areas defined for each school.
Inquiries regarding catchment areas should be directed to the principal of the school. For your convenience, provided below is the 2017-2018 CMSD82 School Principals Listing with contact numbers.