Last Friday, the B.C. government announced a change to BC’s Family Day. Starting in 2019, BC’s Family Day will move to the third Monday in February (instead of the second Monday of February).
In light of this announcement, the proposed 2018-2019 School Calendar was revised to reflect the BC Family Day date change effective 2019. As a result of this date change, the Curriculum Implementation Day scheduled on February 22 was rescheduled to February 15. The revised school calendar also reflects the June 21 National Indigenous Peoples Day, noting this is a Regular Day of Instruction.
Coast Mountains Board of Education School District 82 is seeking public feedback regarding the “revised” 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar. If you have completed the initial survey, much appreciated if you could complete the survey again as it has been changed to reflect the revised school calendar information.
For your information and viewing, please find the “revised” 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar and Backgrounder as prepared and presented by the School Calendar Committee, an all-partner consultative committee formed by the Board of Education provided with a mandate to guide the development of a school calendar for the 2018-2019 school year.
Public feedback is welcomed by February 18, 2018, by completing the revised School Calendar Survey (reference link below) or by forwarding your comments by email to email@example.com, by fax to 1-888-290-4786, or drop off/mail to Coast Mountains Board of Education School District 82, 3211 Kenney Street, Terrace, B.C. V8G 3E9.
The “revised” School Calendar Survey is available for completion at:
(please click on the link to complete the survey)
A summary of all responses and feedback received will be reviewed by the Board of Education. The revised 2018-2019 Proposed School Calendar will then be considered at the Regular (Public) Meeting of the Board to be held on February 28, 2018.
For further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Ext. 4401.
In preparation for the 2018-2019 school year, the Board of Education is seeking the cooperation of parents/guardians in registering their child on the following dates. Pre-registration is requested in order to provide the School District Administration the time to plan staffing to meet school needs.
Schools are open to take registration for Kindergarten from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. between January 8, 2018 and March 9, 2018.
The School District will make every effort to place students who have registered by March 9, 2018 in their catchment area school. Students registering after March 9, 2018 may not be granted place in their catchment area school.
To be eligibile for entry to school in September 2018 students must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2018. A birth certificate, proof of immunization, a BC Care Card and parent/guardian proof of ordinarily resident will be required at the time of registration.
Acceptable documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident”:
- BCMSP (BC CareCard) coverage AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows; or
- Valid BC Services Card (replacement for BC CareCard) AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows
Supporting documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident” (address must match the address listed on the Student’s Registration & Verification Form):
- Provincial Driver’s License
- Document indicating British Columbia resident (i.e. utility bill)
- Proof of ownership of a dwelling or long-term lease or rental of a dwelling
- A current income tax return filed as a BC resident
To register for Kindergarten classes, please register your child at your neighbourhood primary/elementary school as detailed in the 2018-2019 CMSD82 Kindergarten Registration Procedures Notice (click on link to open). If you wish information on school boundaries, please contact any of the principals as listed in the CMSD82 2018-2019 Kindergarten Registration Procedures.
French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One:
- A student does not have to be of French origin to enrol in French Immersion.
- Registration for French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One takes place at schools indicated with an * as listed in the 2018-2019 CMSD82 Kindergarten Registration Procedures Notice (click on link to open).
- Registration for French Immersion Grade One is for students presently attending Kindergarten in English, who would like to begin in the French Immersion Program.
School District 82 Policy 1030 outlines student attendance/catchment area procedures in accordance with Ministry of Education policies on Schools of Choice. It is important that parents take note of specific deadlines defined within this policy and ensure the procedures listed below are followed:
- Students must be registered at their catchment area school.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Applications: After registering at your catchment area school, applications must be received at your school of choice by February 16, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Confirmation of Cross Boundary Applications: By the first Friday following school opening, or as soon as possible following this date, pending staffing allocations and school configurations. Unsuccessful applicants may be held on a waiting list for the subsequent school year. Parents/guardians applying for Cross Boundary status are advised the decisions related to Cross Boundary Applications may not be decided until the first week of school in the 2018-2019 school year. Parents/guardians, therefore, must register first at their catchment area school.
- New In-Catchment Registrations: Registrations will be received up to March 9, 2018 for new students including Kindergarten. Applications received after this date will have to wait until school staffing is complete before receiving status of school enrolment. Wait-listed students who are in catchment area may be moved as soon as space is available.
- Notification of In-Catchment: Wait-listed in-catchment area students will be notified of their status for the school year as soon as possible or by the first Friday following school opening.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Students: Those students who do not live within the defined attendance areas for the school they wish to attend.
- In-Catchment Students: Those students who live in the attendance areas defined for each school.
Inquiries regarding catchment areas should be directed to the principal of the school. For your convenience, provided below is the 2017-2018 CMSD82 School Principals Listing with contact numbers.
Coast Mountains’ schools and the Board of Education Office will be closed on Monday, November 13, 2017 in observance of Remembrance Day, and will re-open as regularly scheduled on Tuesday, November 14.
Remembrance Day assemblies will be held throughout our school district on Friday, November 10.
On this Remembrance Day, we pay tribute to those past and present who served our country with courage and compassion. Lest we forget …
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I would like to welcome the school community to the 2017-2018 School Year! We are looking forward to working with all of you this year on behalf of Coast Mountains learners, and continue to make progress towards our district goals.
Shared Vision …“Coast Mountains School District: creating opportunities for learning, opportunities for life.”
District Goals … Raise literacy and numeracy levels for all of our learners. Graduation for every learner; crossing the stage with dignity, purpose and options. Enhance learner engagement, opportunities and choice through personalized learning.
I look forward to continue leading the way to turn these goals into reality, and I hope you will all join the Board of Education, School District 82 staff and myself in this quest for successful learning.
School Opening … the first day of school will be Wednesday, September 6. We have well established routines and we will follow our normal opening day routines with a shortened first day. Buses will make their morning runs at the usual time on September 6 with their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours. Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School students please reference below for September 6 start times. As you will know, these first days allow us to greet students, set preliminary enrolment and then prepare in earnest for the coming school days. Our first full day of school will be Thursday, September 7 with regular school hours and bus runs in effect. Bus routes and school start times are provided below.
If you require information on which school your child should attend, please call (250) 638-4401 or 1-855-635-4931, Local 4401.
We look forward to welcoming your children in our schools on September 6.
Superintendent of Schools
Kindergarten pupils are requested to begin attending
on the date arranged by the school. Pupils not pre-registered should register on the
SCHOOL OPENING – SEPTEMBER 6, 2017 FOR ALL STUDENTS
at the times as listed in the following 2017-2018 CMSD82 Return to School Messages
which will run in local newspapers in preparation for the new school year.
CMSD82 2017-2018 Hazelton & Kitwanga Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Kitimat Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Terrace & Thornhill Return to School Message
CMSD82 2017-2018 Stewart Return to School Message
- On September 6 only, buses for all schools will make their morning runs at the usual time and their return runs after students have been in attendance for approximately two hours.
- On September 6, Mount Elizabeth Middle School, Grades 7 to 9, report to the large gym at 9:00 a.m.; Mount Elizabeth Secondary School, Grades 10 to 12, report to their home room at 12:30 p.m. A second bus run for Mount Elizabeth Secondary will begin at 11:40 a.m. on September 6.
REGULAR SCHOOL HOURS AND BUS RUNS WILL COMMENCE
ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2017.
SCHOOL DISTRICT 2017-2018 BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES
Hazelton-Kitwanga Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year (includes revised Bus Routes #26 and #29)
Kitimat Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
Terrace-Thornhill Bus Schedules-Routes – 2017-2018 School Year
(above links provide one PDF file for each respective area with all bus routes/stops)
Terrace: School buses will only be provided to students living outside the city boundaries. Those students living within city boundaries should consult the Terrace Regional Transit System for scheduling information and rates at 250-635-2666.
Should you have questions or concerns regarding bus routing and scheduling the following steps are suggested:
1) Contact your child’s/children’s School Principal.
2) Contact the Operations Manager at Diversified Transportation bus lines at 250-635-7042 or 1-855-538-5287 for out of town.
In preparation for the 2017-2018 School Year, please find the School Supply Lists as provided by Coast Mountains School District schools:
- Bear Valley School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 12)
- Ecole Mountainview – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Hazelton Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 8 & 9)
- Kildala Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6, English & French Programs)
- Kitwanga Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Majagaleehl Gali Aks Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Mount Elizabeth Middle-Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grade 7)
- Nechako Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten, Grades 1, 2 & 3)
- Nechako Elementary School 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 4, 5 & 6)
- New Hazelton Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 7)
- Parkside Secondary School – 2017-18 Supply List
- Skeena Middle School – 2017-18 Supply List (Grades 7, 8 & 9)
- Thornhill Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply Lists (Grade 4 to 6)
- Uplands Elementary School – 2017-18 Supply List (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- Cassie Hall Elementary School, Suwilaawks Community School and Thornhill Primary School provide classroom supplies to students for a fee. Parents will be provided information during the first week of school.
- Caledonia Secondary School, Hazelton Secondary School (Grades 10-12), Kitimat City High School and Mount Elizabeth Middle/Secondary School (Grades 8-12) provide information relating to classroom supplies to students during the first week of school.
Should you require further information, please contact Carole Gagnon, Executive Assistant at the Board of Education Office at (250) 638-4401 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to Coast Mountains’ students return to school on September 6, 2017. Have a wonderful summer!