In preparation for the 2019-2020 school year, the Board of Education is seeking the cooperation of parents/guardians in registering their child on the following dates. Pre-registration is requested in order to provide the School District Administration the time to plan staffing to meet school needs.
Schools are open to take registration for Kindergarten from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. between January 14, 2019 and March 15, 2019.
The School District will make every effort to place students who have registered by March 15, 2019 in their catchment area school. Students registering after March 15, 2019 may not be granted place in their catchment area school.
To be eligible for entry to school in September 2019 students must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2019. A birth certificate, proof of immunization, a BC Care Card and parent/guardian proof of ordinarily resident will be required at the time of registration.
Acceptable documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident”:
- BCMSP (BC CareCard) coverage AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows; or
- Valid BC Services Card (replacement for BC CareCard) AND one item from the list of supporting documentation that follows
Supporting documentation for evidence that parent/guardian is “ordinarily resident” (address must match the address listed on the Student’s Registration & Verification Form):
- Provincial Driver’s License
- Document indicating British Columbia resident (i.e. utility bill)
- Proof of ownership of a dwelling or long-term lease or rental of a dwelling
- A current income tax return filed as a BC resident
To register for Kindergarten classes, please register your child at your neighbourhood primary/elementary school as detailed in the CMSD82 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Procedures (click on link to open). If you wish information on school boundaries, please contact any of the principals as listed in the CMSD82 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Procedures.
French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One:
- A student does not have to be of French origin to enrol in French Immersion.
- Registration for French Immersion Kindergarten and Grade One takes place at schools indicated with an * as listed in the CMSD82 2019-2020 Kindergarten Registration Procedures (click on link to open).
- Registration for French Immersion Grade One is for students presently attending Kindergarten in English, who would like to begin in the French Immersion Program.
2019-2020 CMSD82 New Student Registration & Cross-Boundary Application Notice (click on link to open)
School District 82 Policy 1030 outlines student attendance/catchment area procedures in accordance with Ministry of Education policies on Schools of Choice. It is important that parents take note of specific deadlines defined within this policy and ensure the procedures listed below are followed:
- Students must be registered at their catchment area school.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Applications: After registering at your catchment area school, applications must be received at your school of choice by February 14, 2019 for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Confirmation of Cross Boundary Applications: By the first Friday following school opening, or as soon as possible following this date, pending staffing allocations and school configurations. Unsuccessful applicants may be held on a waiting list for the subsequent school year. Parents/guardians applying for Cross Boundary status are advised the decisions related to Cross Boundary Applications may not be decided until the first week of school in the 2019-2020 school year. Parents/guardians, therefore, must register first at their catchment area school.
- New In-Catchment Registrations: Registrations will be received up to March 15, 2019 for new students including Kindergarten. Applications received after this date will have to wait until school staffing is complete before receiving status of school enrolment. Wait-listed students who are in catchment area may be moved as soon as space is available.
- Notification of In-Catchment: Wait-listed in-catchment area students will be notified of their status for the school year as soon as possible or by the first Friday following school opening.
- Cross Boundary/Out-of-Catchment Students: Those students who do not live within the defined attendance areas for the school they wish to attend.
- In-Catchment Students: Those students who live in the attendance areas defined for each school.
Inquiries regarding catchment areas should be directed to the principal of the school.
For your convenience, provided below is the 2018-2019 CMSD82 School Principals Listing with contact numbers.
CMSD82 2018-2019 School Principals & School Contact Information
(click on link to open)
From the Ministry of Education: B.C. Training and Education Savings Grant:
As part of Education Savings Week (November 18-24), the Ministry would like to remind schools about the B.C. Training and Education Savings Grant (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/bc-training-and-education-savings-grant). The B.C. government will contribute $1,200 to each eligible child for a Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to help families plan early for their children’s post-secondary education or training programs.
Please distribute or share the links to the BCTESG Opportunities Grow and It Pays to Plan brochures with parents and guardians of eligible children ages six through nine in your school distri ct:
Coast Mountains’ schools and the Board of Education Office will be closed on Monday, November 12, 2018 in observance of Remembrance Day, and will re-open as regularly scheduled on Tuesday, November 13.
Remembrance Day assemblies will be held throughout our school district on Friday, November 9.
On this Remembrance Day, we pay tribute to those past and present who served our country with courage and compassion. Lest we forget …